Diet: SIBO & Autoimmune
We all love a warm comfort food once in a while and it’s not something we need to give up! This Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a healthier version loaded with nutrients that won’t have you feeling like a couch potato after. Enjoy!!
**This recipe is tailored & safe for readers with SIBO & Autoimmune
1 pound ground dark meat turkey or bison
1 cup frozen peas
2 large carrots diced
1 medium fennel diced
(feel free to add additional vegetables from your approved list)
Gluten free organic chicken broth
Turmeric, cumin, sea salt, black pepper to taste
1 handful of chopped herbs-parsley, cilantro or basil.
1 garlic clove (or garlic infused oil for SIBO protocol)
- A) Choose 1: large Celery root chopped into pieces and steamed OR 1 small bag of carrots, washed, chopped and steamed OR1 head cauliflower chop and steamed
- B) Choose 1: 1/8 cup TBS Plain/unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- C) Choose 1: 2 TBS of butter, ghee, ¼ cup plain coconut yogurt or ¼ cup lactose free yogurt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1) For topping: Chop Celery root ,carrots or cauliflower- steam until fork soft –set aside.
2) For filling: Heat frying pan on medium heat and add oil and garlic or garlic infused oil.
3) Add 2 chopped carrots and fennel and sauté until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
4) In the same pan, add chopped meat, stirring often until browned and crumbled over medium heat.
5) Drain any oil and liquid out of pan when meat is completely cooked. Leave meat in pan.
6) Add ¼ cup of chicken stock to pan, ¼ tsp of cumin, ¼ tsp of turmeric, and salt to taste. Cook on medium until broth reduces.
7) spread chopped meat into bottom of baking dish. Mix in cooked vegetables and frozen peas. Mix in chopped herbs of your choice-parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.
8) For topping: Place your choice from category A into bowl of food processor with choice from category B and C plus salt and spices to taste. Blend until creamy.
9) With a spatula, spread a thick layer of the topping mixture over the entire baking dish to cover completely.
10) Bake in center of oven for 30-45 minutes until top is golden brown.
**Additional vegetables may be added from your approved foods list
Virtual Visits Coast to Coast
Online visits via zoom, practice better, or phone
Hampton Bays Office
Hampton Bays NY 11946