Diet: SIBO & Autoimmune
We all love a warm comfort food once in a while and it’s not something we need to give up! This Shepherd’s Pie recipe is a healthier version loaded with nutrients that won’t have you feeling like a couch potato after. Enjoy!!
**This recipe is tailored & safe for readers with SIBO & Autoimmune
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey or bison
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 medium fennel diced
- (feel free to add additional vegetables from your approved list)
- Gluten free organic chicken broth
- Turmeric, cumin, sea salt, black pepper to taste
- 1 handful of chopped herbs-parsley, cilantro or basil.
- Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove (or garlic infused oil for SIBO protocol)
- A) Choose 1: large Celery root chopped into pieces and steamed OR 1 small bag of carrots, washed, chopped and steamed OR 1 head cauliflower chop and steamed
- B) Choose 1: 1/8 cup TBS Plain/unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- C) Choose 1: 2 TBS of butter, ghee, ¼ cup plain coconut yogurt or ¼ cup lactose free yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- 1) For topping: Chop Celery root ,carrots or cauliflower- steam until fork soft –set aside.
- 2) For filling: Heat frying pan on medium heat and add oil and garlic or garlic infused oil.
- 3) Add 2 chopped carrots and fennel and sauté until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 4) In the same pan, add chopped meat, stirring often until browned and crumbled over medium heat.
- 5) Drain any oil and liquid out of pan when meat is completely cooked. Leave meat in pan.
- 6) Add ¼ cup of chicken stock to pan, ¼ tsp of cumin, ¼ tsp of turmeric, and salt to taste. Cook on medium until broth reduces.
- 7) spread chopped meat into bottom of baking dish. Mix in cooked vegetables and frozen peas. Mix in chopped herbs of your choice-parsley, basil, cilantro, etc.
- 8) For topping: Place your choice from category A into bowl of food processor with choice from category B and C plus salt and spices to taste. Blend until creamy.
- 9) With a spatula, spread a thick layer of the topping mixture over the entire baking dish to cover completely.
- 10) Bake in center of oven for 30-45 minutes until top is golden brown.
**Additional vegetables may be added from your approved foods list