Grass-Fed Beef Tacos
Diet: Autoimmune & SIBO
Spice it up with taco night! These grass-fed beef tacos served in romaine lettuce boats are a Body Bliss favorite – tasty, simple to make, and nutritious!
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 package hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 pack small sweet peppers, washed, seeds removed and chopped (AVOID for Autoimmune protocol)
- 1 head of swiss chard (leaves stem removed, washed and chopped) or collards or cabbage or mustard greens, all leaves washed.
- 1 can black pitted olives drained and chopped
- 1 small fennel washed and chopped
- Olive or coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic gluten free chicken broth
- Sea salt
- Dried oregano
- Paprika, chili powder (AVOID For Autoimmune Protocol or rotation diets)
- In a medium frying pan, warm oil and then sauté chard stems, olives and peppers until tender. Add in fennel until cooked through and transluscent. Add in chard leaves last and cook tossing until cooked approx. 3-4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Place in bowl, cover and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chop meat without adding more oil. Stir meat and turn over to brown on all sides. When meat is crumbled and cooked, remove from heat and drain excess oil out.
- Return pan to heat adding chicken stock and spices to taste. Cook on medium until liquid begins to bubble. Continue to cook uncovered allowing the liquid to simmer out and condense.
Assemble tacos by spooning meat onto the romaine hearts and topping with vegetable mixture, Optional avocado slices
***This recipe is easily modified by changing the type of meat or vegetables or leaving out the meat all together for delicious vegetarian tacos. Safe for readers with Autoimmune & SIBO.
For those unable to tolerate raw plant leaves follow these additional steps:
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- bring a pot of water to a boil. Add leaves to water to boil 1-2 min for chard, collards and mustard greens, 4 min for cabbage
- Pour water out of pot (80%) and replace with cold water so leaves stop cooking but remain wet until needed.
- Place a scoop of meat into the center of one leaf, wrapping up like a package. Place in baking dish. Continue until all leaves and meat are bundled.
- Add ½ cup water to bottom of baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for ½ hour -45 min and serve hot.
NYC Office at The Assemblage
17 John Street Suite 503
NYC, NY 10038
Hampton Bays Office
Hampton Bays NY 11946